A new feature for SilverStripe should be ...

Themes should be more powerful

They should be able to inherit from other themes, and define codeless page types

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Hamish Friedlander shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Usrname commented  · 

At last need be the same powerful as smarty and fast as Blitz templates ;)

• Marcus Nyeholt commented  · 

We've got a module that allows in-cms overrides of some templates (either master or layout template) that can be applied on a per-page or per-section approach, but not tied to the class type of the page being applied to.

https://github.com/nyeholt/silverstripe-usertemplates

We've also got an unreleased 'partial themes' module that allows a CMS author to select a 'partial' theme for a section of the site. For that partial theme, any template file defined in the partial theme folder will be selected instead of that defined in the main theme. It's a bit messy in parts which is why it hasn't been released, but happy to give access if it'd help with the general implementation.

• __will commented  · 

I expect this is unrealistic, but using Twig as the template layer would be great. Twig is a wonderful template language, well documented & I use it in other php projects so it would be great to just use one template language everywhere. Bit of a dream i expect.

• Oly commented  · 

We've implemented something similar to this on a recent project and found it really useful.

We setted up a separate theme folder, with template files to override the pre-existing ones in the default theme.

Would be nice if theme could be specified for a particular page via CMS also, which allows for a 3-step theme fallback (Page Theme Setting > Site Config Theme Setting > Default Theme), so content admin can select different themes for different areas of the site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base