A new feature for SilverStripe should be ...

Use vector icons for all icons in the CMS

Currently, adding new icons for either the site tree or a custom model admin interface is a little complicated. They icons also aren't optimized for retina.
When choosing between the standard available icons inside of framework/admin/images/menu-icons, you can choose between 11 different ones. By using a vector font like font awesome for this, you'd be able to choose between hundreds of icons by default, and they would be ready for retina.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anselm ChristophersenAnselm Christophersen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul ClarkePaul Clarke commented  · 

Just a bit of an update, we have been using http://app.fontastic.me to slowly update some of the new icons as we go, our thinking is that when we get to a point when were we have a good understanding of how many and what types of icons we need then we can easily swap the whole set at once (and hopefully choose a suitable set). Fontastic allows you to add custom SVGs as well as using font icons from some of the main sets out there (similar to iconmoon), although we are trying to stick to one set where possible for consistency. At the moment we are thinking about how this can be shared amongst the community for contribution which might be hard unless a single set has been chosen as a base. We also need to consider the license as many of the sets out there wouldn't be suitable.

• John BroadwaterJohn Broadwater commented  · 

Agree with David, it isn't safe to drop IE8 support just yet

• David CraigDavid Craig commented  · 

As far as I know - IE8 is still supported. Lots of folks in the government / enterprise space are still stuck with IE8 :/

• JonoJono commented  · 

Does SilverStripe support IE8? Surely we could drop that browser by now eh? :) if we did then SVG would be an option too

• Ingo SchommerAdminIngo Schommer (Admin, SilverStripe) commented  · 

Great idea! I think it'll be easiest to tie this in with a UI refresh (flatter look), but also not opposed to revamping the icons as a first step. Some tasks to get closer to this goal:

- Find a font set with a BSD compat license (any recommendations?)
        - Are we OK with the limitations of web fonts (no multi-colour icons)?
        - Performance implications of webfonts vs. vectors. Which one is more future proof?
        - Ensure existing CSS classes for page tree and menu icons continue to work
        - Can devs add their own icons without requiring individual file loading for each of them in the CMS?
        - Can we completely replace the current bitmap sprites, or what's left?

Feedback and Knowledge Base