New Features

Please add your suggestions for new SilverStripe CMS & Framework features (Note: bugs should be logged over in GitHub).

1. Module/extension management module

Module management - it would be great to have a CMS-based module management "module".

1. Minimal/basic functionality:

- List of modules & versions in CMS
    - Module Actions (delete / upgrade)
    - Specify "Suggested" vs "Required" modules when creating libraries
    - can rely heavily on Composer.json

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Embed interactive content via H5P support

Support for H5P would be most welcome.
    https://h5p.org/
    H5P enables existing CMSs and LMSs to create richer content, in particular interactive content.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. TinyMCE: Ability to extend "valid_elements" intuitively

Hi, I was noticing that for me to add the ability to have `aria-*` prefixed elements in TinyMCE, I'd need to override the `valid_elements` option on a configuration instance from `HtmlEditorConfig::get('cms')`. Even then, I'd have to do it late in the game (e.g. in an extension and not in `mysite/_config.php`) but I digress.

Basically I see that `HtmlEditorSanitiser` does all the heavy lifting of parsing these complicated rules. And, instead of having to override this entire `valid_elements` string (which is quite large and cumbersome) I feel like this option should first either be composed of an option with a more…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SilverStripe Merchandise Store

SilverStripe Ltd. should really set up a brand store where we fans of the comapny and framework can buy all those cool SilverStripe t-shirts and gadgets!

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Auto save of draft content

I'm not sure of how difficult this would be technically but I do know it would benefit the user experience quite a bit. I would imagine we wouldn't be able to get rid of the save completely but it could be demoted if items are being saved for you the majority of the time.

The interface is a little action heavy so this could be a huge step.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. An activity timeline outlining what has changed and by who

I feel that we really need to pick up our game when it comes to user collaboration within the CMS. Giving users more visibility of what's happening within their site. A simplified version of this has been done as part of the dashboard module but I'm envisioning this to have more detail about who edited what and when with more visual context.

It would be good if users can see if they have missed out on anything, follow up on an individuals activity, or the activity of a page (overlaps with history of a page).

I see this heavily tied…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Data model diagram in the docs section

Could use the https://github.com/froog/SilverGraph module to automatically make a new datamodel on every release so that others can examine it without having to go through a saga

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. CMS Message after deleting datamodel with relations connected to it

After deleting a datamodel from within the CMS, all links to this now-deleted datamodel from other datamodels (like pages) are useless, error-prone and causing garbage in the database. There should be some warning to the CMS user after deleting a datamodel, if there are relations to that model!

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Georgian to Jalali Calendar Convertor

to convert dates from Gregorian calendar system to Jalali calendar system (Implementing jDate in SilverStripe)
    Resources: https://github.com/sallar/jDateTime

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export CSV shouldn't use excessive memory

When using a scaffolded modeladmin around fairly simple modules the system runs out of memory at a very low number of records exported... there is clearly a need for some releasing of memory within the process

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Performance : Use ->first() within ->exists() and many count($arr) replaced with !empty($arr)

Within the silverstripe code I was surprised to see ->exists() counting all the records in order to indicate if the table / array is empty, however this does match the common usage within the code for count($arr) used instead of !empty

In terms of both database and php it would be much quicker to use check if not empty... this applies in php with empty for almost all cases (even very small arrays take at least 2x time to return) and within the database for tables that are empty or low row numbers, it's no problem, but if the table…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Dates should be formatted by Locale

Currently ability to use $datetime->Format(...) doesn't take into account the locale, would be great if it does as I'll need translatable soon, but I raising now as it has been raised on IRC several times and I blogged about it... Loz Calver / Dan Hensby have suggested https://github.com/briannesbitt/Carbon

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. YML Parser - e.g. http://yaml-online-parser.appspot.com/

After just having to debug for over an hour on something that turned out to be bad YML, it's very frustrating the SS doesn't simply report "YML error on line XX..." instead it reports bizarre looking errors from deep within the code

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Improve oembed support

This could be related to this one: http://silverstripe.uservoice.com/forums/251266-new-features/suggestions/6804434-improve-iframe-and-embed-options-in-add-media-ht

but while now it is possible to add twitter cards, twitter videos, etc. the support in the editor is clunky and the preview broken (it is working but it is not supporting properly non-video content).

It would be nice to also have support for:

- twitter (tweets)
    - twitter videos
    - instagram images
    - vine

and other similar social media items that support oembed.

thanks.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Signpost Clearly if Logged In during Reset Passsword

This comes up on our support system all the time and even staff report it to me over and over again... a password request is made, then the link is clicked while they are logged in... they then complain that they need to enter the password they they requested to reset.

The confusion could be easily avoided with a clear sign post that they are being asked for the password because they are logged in. A clear "log out" could also be added.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Use vector icons for all icons in the CMS

Currently, adding new icons for either the site tree or a custom model admin interface is a little complicated. They icons also aren't optimized for retina.
    When choosing between the standard available icons inside of framework/admin/images/menu-icons, you can choose between 11 different ones. By using a vector font like font awesome for this, you'd be able to choose between hundreds of icons by default, and they would be ready for retina.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. date.timezone

date.timezone setting in php.ini must be set correctly otherwise PHP configuration fails. Understand the reason why this is done but can’t the installer check to see if there is already a htaccess rule in place setting the timezone? Or installer could offer option to set it manually at point of installation

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More modern mobile responsive theme

More modern mobile responsive theme for front end please. At present, the default (simple) theme has a dated navigation menu style, search is not enabled by default, and there are too many stylesheets linked through. And how about a small selection of themes to choose at the point of installation, rather than just the simple style? Often projects require custom themes but when throwing sites together for demo purposes, being able to swop out between a few pre-designed themes would be nice

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. RTL admin menu for Persian, Arabic, Hebrew & many other languages

In many RTL languages, sentence & menu need to placement and ordering from right side
    please add RTL menu to the CMS
    http://i59.tinypic.com/30ijiw2.png

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

New Features