New Features

Please add your suggestions for new SilverStripe CMS & Framework features (Note: bugs should be logged over in GitHub).

1. Behat testing should be as easy as unit testing

Right now Behat testing isn't used very much - it's harder to get running than it should be, and is quite slow.

We should try and get Behat testing to be more popular by improving the ease with which tests can be written.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make CRUD permissions ACL based

RIght now we do permissions exclusively client side with canView, canEdit, etc.

Not only is this not easy to extend, it's also hard to apply to sets of objects, especially for objects that don't inherit from Page (which provides a bulk-check feature, as long as you haven't tweaked canView) - each one needs to be checked in turn.

We should look at changing permissions to be something that can be applied in bulk - ideally on the SQL server.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Modify CMS Document Metatags area to have multiple Custom Metatags

In CMS (3.1.6) the MetaTags area has a text entry for Description and a single custom tag.

This single custom area concatenates all text into one line.

There needs to be provision to add multiple custom meta tags (individually editable) - not concatenated - each tag as an individual meta tag on a separate line in the page source.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the framework faster

The base-line performance of the framework could be better. Right now, things like auto-complete handlers really struggle to deliver adequate performance, especially on high-traffic sites.

202 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Core state handling to fix subsites / translatable / etc

Right now we have _lots_ of ad-hoc cross-request state tracking.

State is any inputs that affects the cross-section of data that ends up being visible to DataObject

Versioned, Subsites, Translatable and several others are examples of this.

We already have DataQuery#$queryParams to track some of this state internally, but when it comes to tracking it across requests, every module has it's own solution.

The worst are those modules that store it in the session, since this affects all tabs / windows being used by that user, which can lead to unexpected behaviour.

This API would instead allow reading state encoded…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Rework extensions to be less dynamically controllable

Currently extensions can be dynamically added and removed via Object::add_extension and Object::remove_extension. This limits the caching the config system can do.

Since this dynamicity isn't really required, and is used primarily for tests, we could replace this with "extension sets" - a pre-configured list of extensions that can be switched between.

This would allow pre-computing of a merged config for each extension set.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow the site tree sidebar when editing a page to be resized

When editing a page, you get the site tree in a panel on the left. Currently, the only option for change its size is to collapse it. At times, it is useful to be able to resize it, especially to remove the need for horizontal scrolling.

89 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make debugging info look nice

Currently when you use URL variable tools like ?debug=1 you can get some pretty ugly and inconsistent results. I propose at the very least that any html output from functions like these are wrapped in a container with a .ss-debug class or similar, to let developers provide their own styles for formatting this output - but even better would be if some attractive and legible styles were built in.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Decouple Form logic from it's presentation

Form currently requires too many PHP modifications to make design changes. Things like addExtraClass() should really be the purvue of the front-end designer and handled by the tempalte system instead of the developer. As a designer/developer it would allow for more reusable form code; just grab classes from another project and not have to worry if I overrode classes or templates.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Migrate dev functions from URL into CMS

Certain dev functions, specifically clearing the cache (../?flush=all or ../?flush=1) and rebuilding the database (../dev/build) are currently managed from the site URL when appropriate admin users are logged in.

These functions should be available to those admin users as part of the main CMS navigation instead.

Flushing the cache should also include the option to flush the cache of thumbnails which have been created for efficiency.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. google docs support

A lot more clients are using google docs (SilverStripe included) to write content for websites. It would be good to have a module which pulls this content into SilverStripe.

I would see it either do a one time import for content or it could be pointed to a google document and build a site structure based on the content e.g. each heading one is a page title and the following content appears in the content area.

I would see this more useful when you are setting up a site for the first time and have external content written in google…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. layout builder

Drag and Drop Responsive Page Builder

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. add a silverstripe plugin for Netbeans

With Netbeans becoming a free, easy and intuitive tool. It's sometimes a pain when you have to add certain things like templating silverstripe rules to the mix. SilverStripe + Netbeans = WEBSITE SUCCESS.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Accessibiility compliance in CMS

Ensure that less able CMS authors can work with our core toolset.

- Follow guidance of the W3C for Rich Internet Applications (ARIA): https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/aria
    - Follow guidance of the W3C for Authoring Tools (ATAG): https://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/atag

Notes:
    - WCAG compliance is often mandated in tools used by government. See Australia (https://www.dta.gov.au/standard/9-make-it-accessible/) or New Zealand (https://webtoolkit.govt.nz/standards/web-accessibility-standard-1-0/) for examples.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Ingo Schommer responded

I’ve broadened this idea from ATAG compliance to wider “accessibility compliance” in the CMS.

15. Improve File insert screen from WYSWIG

Currently when inserting files/images into page you have to flick through pages of uploaded files to find what you are after.

Allowing more files instead of 10 would be a basic improvement.
    Allowing search to work with in the popup
    Remembering the last page or position i was open at would be huge improvement.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Better drag and drop mode for reordering site pages

Currently when you reorder a page above another page it becomes a draft that you need to go into and publish. This is not logical because people don't associate the order of a page as part of the page but part of the list itself. A list is a bunch of items in a specific order.

One improved implementation could be to enter "reordering mode" after moving a page, where the changes are drafted until they are applied after which the new order takes effect.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When inserting media allow for additional css classes

When you insert media such as a photo or video clip, you should be able to add in css classes by doing so in the 'Details & dimensions' pop up that initializes when you select a image.

So for example if i wanted to add the img-responsive bootsrap class to my image as i insert it i would be able to do it at insertion as apposed to after insertion when it becomes more difficult.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Gallery view option in Grid Fields

Grid Fields are used extensively throughout the CMS, and while they're a great default option, when you're dealing with images, it would be better to see a gallery of thumbnails.

I'd love it if this was an option that I could place wherever I saw the need in my CMS UI, where grid fields are currently used.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a ModelAdmin for SiteTree to edit certain page types outside the viewtree

if you have a site with a lot of pages on the same nav level, i.e. news, a blog, press releases, etc it would be nice to be able to exclude these page types from being edited in the viewtree and have them in a ModulAdmin like listing.
    With 2.4 I have used ReModelAdmin from UncleCheese and for 3.x I have built something myself (also working with Translatable): https://github.com/xini/silverstripe-listedpageadmin
    It's far from perfect but I think it is a start..

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

New Features

Feedback and Knowledge Base